Gearing up for a 5K? Here are five tips to help you stay on track and avoid injury!
1. Run by time not by distance. Set a goal to run for even 10 or 20 minutes instead of running 2-3 miles. This will also help you develop an aerobic base.
2. Running shoes matter! Comfort is everything to make sure you will stay committed to training. They should work well with your arch and stride type. If you’re not sure which type of shoe you need, visit a local running specialty store to get fitted properly.
3. Wear socks! Good socks are as important as good shoes. Look for socks that are seam-free, and ones that wick moisture so you don’t end up with blisters.
4. Set a pre-run routine complete with dynamic stretching to get the blood flowing! Leave static stretching for after you run so your muscles don’t lock up.
5. Rest! Overtraining is one way to end up on the injured reserve list! Don’t feel guilty to take a day or two off. If you still want to keep your muscles moving, head out for a walk.