The purpose of this test is to measure how many calories you burn at rest, doing nothing more than sitting in a chair. This is important for diet modification and weight management. The test typically takes 10-15 minutes and uses an indirect calorimeter to analyze caloric expenditure. You simply lie back in a chair and sit still for the duration of the test. You will be wearing a facemask that will be attached to a metabolic cart. You may bring a book or reading material for the test but will be asked to sit as still as possible. Once the test is over, we will walk you through the results of your test and answer any questions you may have.
How to Prepare for your upcoming visit!
Resting Metabolic Rate Analysis
• You must FAST for a minimum 12 of hours (only drink water)
• Limit your activity beforehand (no exercise)
• Refrain from taking any caffeine or stimulants the day of your test
• Workout, casual, or even business clothes are all acceptable, as you will just be relaxing in a chair
• You will be wearing a face mask to perform this test