In a recent post we talked about several benefits of eating sprouts. This power food can be expensive which is why it is an excellent idea to grow your own. The process can be easily completed even by those without a green thumb.
You will only need a few supplies to get started:
1. Large wide mouth mason jars
2. Sprout lids
3. Organic sprouting seeds, nuts, legumes, or grains (such as mung beans, alfalfa seeds, clover seeds, broccoli seeds, and garbanzo beans)
To get started:
1. Measure out your seeds or beans. If you start with 1/4 cup you should end up with about 2 cups of sprouts.
2. After rinsing the seeds, place them in a mason jar. Fill 3/4 with water and cap with mesh screen and lid or rubber band and let soak overnight or for about 12 hours.
3. Drain the water and rinse the seeds.
4. Let the spouts germinate for the suggested number of days according to the packet or supplier you purchased from.
5. Once seeds have sprouted, place the jar in strong, indirect sunlight for 2 to 3 days.
7. When the jar is full and the sprouts or legumes are ready to use, store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for use.